Friday, January 14, 2011

Thursday Evening's Groundwork Session!

Even though I didn't feel well I wanted to work with Daisy a little bit from the ground last night. I was coming out later than usual and she wasn't to impressed about that :D I put her halter on and led her around first. After I led her around for a bit I asked her to move her haunches around and she did..I had to ask for it a few times and I had to tap a few times but she did it. Then I moved to the right side and I didn't have to barely ask for it and she moved. I was impressed. We worked on the left side for a little while longer till she moved without barely being asked ;) I praised her quite a bit after she did a good job! After I worked with her moving her haunches around then I unclipped the lead rope and she followed me around. It was running thru my mind while she was following me around that it would be awesome if I could impress on her that she has to stand still when I am getting on her even if the saddle isn't on her (she stand perfect without moving off at all with the either saddle on but bareback I usually (it depends) have to work with her a bit before she stands still). So that is what I did. I ran the lead rope thru her halter to make kinda of a bridle and then hooked both ends of the lead rope (the clip end and the other end) together to make reins. Then I turned my bucket upside down and and brought her over. I asked her to whoa right beside the bucket. At first she just wanted to move around and be a nut about it :D I finally got her to stand nicely beside the bucket. The next step was to get her stand nicely beside the bucket WHILE I am walking around her, away from her and on the bucket. I told her WHOA and then I walked around her..she did great with that. Then I got on the bucket and said WHOA again when she shifted but she stood still. Then I pressed my hands on her back and such and she still stood still. So I hopped on and she didn't move. That was pefect. So I rode her around to try to figure some things out I had watched on video (I didn't do anything I was just seeing if I could see what the guy meant and I plan to work on this stuff once I ride again in the saddle). Daisy was doing really good so I stopped her and got off. Then I brought her up to the bucket again and wanted her to stand still because she didn't know what I was going to do as far if I was going to just make her stand there or if I was going to get on her. Well with a little work she stood still and I got on the bucket. I just pressed my hands on her back, praised her for standing still and then I got off the bucket ;) I praised her and hugged her then took the halter and leadrope off of her and let her go. It was pretty awesome. Then I gave her hay said good night and headed to bed :D If I feel better toward the end of the day I will maybe ride her! Hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment